Thursday, September 23, 2010

Happiness is only real when shared

"Happiness is only real when shared."


-Into the wild.


This is one of my favorite parts of the book/movie into the wild.  This is actually one of my favorite books. When I watch it I feel that I relate so strongly to the main character in the sense that I always want to get out and explore and see the world and be in tune with nature and spirituality.  


I JUST REALLY WANT TO LIVE.  I feel so often we do not live because we are trying so hard to plan living or anticipate experiences that we prevent ourselves from being to appreciate the present moment in any way.  And silence is good.  Silence is necessary for the human spirit to thrive and learn and grow.  But all of Supertramp's greatest moments were the ones he shared with others.  


If we spend all of our lives and times trying to think of how we want to be and are only concerned all this time about ourselves and everything we are doing then we are missing the entire purpose of life.  It is true that life is meant to be lived, but not lived alone, it is meant to be shared.  It is pretty easy to get caught up in the selfish monotony of routine, but even if we explore the world to the very deepest and greatest depths it really means nothing if we keep it all for ourselves. This life is not meant to be just for ourselves.  It is through the love of others that I feel most loved, most beautiful, and most alive.  I feel sad that Alexander McCandless had to die right after he realized this, but it is a truth he left with many.

No comments:

Post a Comment